Tuesday, October 2, 2018

On running my first marathon

So, I guess it's official - I am a marathoner!  I finished the Mother Road Marathon on Sunday, September 30th, 2018.  It took me 6-1/2 hours, but I did it!

There's so many thoughts running through my head, I don't know where to start.  

I guess I could start at the beginning...

I signed up for this race about a year ago - I signed up early, got an amazing deal, and immediately emailed the race director to make sure I'd be able to drop down to the half if I changed my mind before the event.  Yes, he said, you can switch if necessary.  I don't know if I had a deadline by which I had to decide, but once I started training for the half marathon in January, and knowing everything I was doing was in preparation for the marathon, I knew I wouldn't be dropping down to the half.  One way or another, I was going to complete my first marathon.

I started training, technically, in January.  Initially I started with a plan that was a long, drawn-out marathon training plan, but I soon decided I would do a half marathon in May and I would follow a plan for that, and then start marathon training at the beginning of June.

I PRd the half in May, and started Marathon Training with another half marathon!

It was a long, hot, humid summer.  I did all my runs but a couple.  I hit a rough patch at the beginning of August where I was just tired, burnt out, and wasn't sure what was going on.  I took an extra day or two of rest and finally got back to the plan.  In the end, I think I logged slightly more miles than called for given the adjustments I made due to races and due to the fact that I really wanted to do a 20-miler.  (My original plan only went up to 18.5)

Since I had two races the two weeks before the marathon, it was easy to put off stressing about it - I was just taking one week at a time. But, finally, the weekend had arrived!  I was packing, and before I knew it, I was on the road to Joplin, MO.

At various points over the past year, I debated on whether I wanted anyone there.  I've become a solitary runner, and didn't know if I wanted to make anyone come with me, or be there.  I thought it'd be easier NOT to have the added stress of knowing people were waiting at the finish line.

Well...I am SO GLAD that I opted to ask my mom, sister, and boyfriend (of course) to be there.  Seeing them as I came around the corner to the finish line was amazing!  Having them there, having their support...it definitely made the whole thing that much better!  I would have been pretty sad to have no one at the finish line, especially since I was so far at the back of the pack...there weren't many people left at that point. 

Anyways, the race itself...

I learned that the whole pickle-juice thing really IS a thing!  I don't even remember at what mile the pickle truck showed up, and I was hesitant, but two women that had been running by me for parts of the last mile said it was AMAZING and they couldn't wait ... so when I caught up to them, I decided to try it, but the first time I only took pickle spears and some plain water.  By the second time we saw them (they were hopping from spot to spot as we progressed along the course), I was all-in on the magic pickle elixir and had some juice and a spear.  I think we saw them one more time, and again, a little juice, and a couple spears.

I learned that even with the sun behind clouds, the heat and humidity can be a factor.  I didn't quite realize how much these things were affecting me until we came to the Missouri border (I think) and the local Fox affiliate was out there handing out cold, wet rags...it felt SO GOOD!  One stop had actual COLD water, and again, it totally hit the spot.  My favorite, though, had to be the "beer" stop!  Yes, someone had a table out (it was in front of a small bar), and was giving out beer if you wanted it!  I took about a shot and half of Shock Top and, again, it really hit the spot!

The weather, while humid, was much better than it could have been - the clouds kept it from becoming a scorching, sunny day!  I was surprised by the scenery - much more scenic than I had expected with trees, and rivers, and the little towns with the Route 66 charm.  

But, I really should have started this out with a simple truth - I didn't hit the wall with 6 miles to GO, I hit it after just 6 miles!?!?  Maybe sooner, I don't remember.

Right from the start, I could tell it was going to be a tough run.  I tried to hang with the 6-hour pace group, but couldn't.  I was ahead of them for awhile, but then fell back, and eventually lost sight of them.  I hit some hills and just decided I'd walk if I felt like it - I don't even know if I NEEDED to walk, I think I just WANTED to - I had lost some of that push to hit a certain time.

And, truth be told, I thought about stopping.  Yep.  By about mile 10 I was contemplating just calling it a day when I got to Baxter Springs, the halfway point.  At one of the stops there, they said "Great job! You're half way there!" and I replied, "Yes, but if I had started here, I'd be done by now!!"  A few thoughts popped into my head, though - 

"If you don't finish you won't get that medal and you DID NOT go through all of this to NOT GET THAT HUGE ASS MEDAL!"

"You made you mom and sister drive 10 hours and take time off from their busy schedules to be here.  You made your boyfriend drive 8+ hours, and then ride with you another 7+ to be here....You HAVE TO FINISH"

So, I kept going.  I pulled myself out of the negative downward spiral and focused on the good things....the scenery, the people, the fact I was still able to put one foot in front of the other, the pickle juice, the beer and pizza and medal AND FAMILY that would be there at the end...I took stock of the fact that I felt pretty good - Sure, my legs were tired and muscles sore, but I wasn't in *serious* pain.  While sweating like crazy, the weather could have been much hotter, and I just kept drinking, both from the Tailwind-spiked water in my pack and the plain water at the aid stations.  Relentless forward progress.  Run the mile you're in.  Just keep going.  

Then there was Mel's pit crew.  Apparently, Mel had attempted this (or maybe another marathon?) the previous year, but had quit at the halfway point.  This year, she had a WHOLE VAN FULL of her friends who, at the halfway point, started following her along the course.  They would stop at a spot they could park - blast music - like Eye of the Tiger! - and offer up water, pretzels, bananas, and would run with her a little, give her the pink flamingo to run with for awhile...I don't even know.  But, while they were there for HER, they helped ME, too!  Hearing the music, seeing the support, them offering up what they had to all of us back-of-the-pack runners...it was just really really cool.  One turning point for me was the first time I realized what was going on - they were blasting EYE OF THE TIGER and it was when we were going up a terrible, long, hill...and I used that to help get me going.  I still walked alot of that uphill, but it lifted my mood, my spirits, as we approached mile 20.

That was the beginning of the comeback for me - and I finished strong in the last couple miles.

Though, it almost ended differently!  Approaching mile 25, I texted my mom, sis and boyfriend that I was ahead of the previous estimate I'd given and it was looking like I'd finish in close to 6-1/2 hours.  Well, as I was putting my phone away, I tripped on the pavement (road work being done, the pavement a good few inches above the soft shoulder) - I veered left, tripped and ended up on the ground.  Thoughts flashed through my mind of what could happen...but...I got up, scraped off some dirt, wiped off some blood, and just kept going (looking behind me to see if anyone had seen my embarrassing fall!)

25 miles was the last marker.  As I made the turn for the last half mile I was back to doing my regular intervals.  When I saw my family, though, I knew I'd be running the rest of the way - I couldn't stop and walk now, not when they, and the finish line, were so close!

The moment of crossing I am always overcome with such a weird range of emotions.  I get choked up but don't outright cry.  It felt a little unreal, like, had I really just done 26.2 miles on foot?  Did I really just ambulate through 3 different states?  Yes, Yes, Yes, I DID!!!!

And, while a bit sore and tired, I obviously am not deterred.  Monday morning I was signing up for a 21-mile trail race in 3 weeks, and registering for the Barkley Fall Classic lottery (which I may or may not get into - names are still being drawn at this point).  So, you know, obviously this was just one stop on my running journey!






No comments:

Post a Comment